May 15, 2019
What are the 'Essentials' of a Good Poem?
1. Is the poem about something you actually know about (in other words a failure to write about the known usually guarantees flawed writing).
2. I recall someone responding to the question, 'What makes a good poem?' by saying 'Go...
23 Writing Ideas!
* Imagine writing to a friend about a time you spent away from school, perhaps a holiday. What are the SIX most important things that you would tell him/her about the things you are experienced.
Put these SIX things into a poem in which you expand upon...
May 11, 2019
Some poets have in the past tried to express a connection between
colours and the feelings we have. For example, we often hear people
talk of being ‘purple with rage’ or ‘green with envy’, and these are
commonplace ideas. In this poem you are asked to be more adventurous
May 10, 2019
The seventh in a series of writing poetry as a way of healing.
TOUCHING THE EXPERIENCE OF CANCER: ‘I DON’T KNOW’
Before teaching writing to children through California Poets in the Schools and to adults at the San Diego Writing Centre, Joe Milosch worked as a trail...
The sixth in a series of writing poetry as a way of healing.
The Healing Power of Images
A morning glory at my window satisfies me more than the metaphysics of books.
The fifth in a series of writing poetry as a way of healing.
Poetry as Natural Medicine
Natural Medicine. Reflect on poetry as a natural medicine. What is your medicine made of? This medicine is not like a drug, intended to suppress and cover over pain or illness....
The fourth in a series of writing poetry as a way of healing.
Poetry and Relationships
Fill in the following. You may need to think about them carefully first.
If I wrote and sent a poem to someone, that person or persons would be:
May 9, 2019
The third in a series of writing poetry as a way of healing.
METAPHORS: AN ALCHEMICAL BOND OF LANGUAGE
Metaphor is an alchemical bond of words that unites two different things. This occurs in various ways. In some metaphor the correspondence between two things is precis...
The second in a series of writing poetry as a way of healing.
CRAFTING YOUR LINE TO THE TUNE OF YOUR HEALING
Line lengths and layout construct the images of a poem just as atoms unite to form a stoneware mug, a pouting lover or a grizzly bear. Atoms arrange t...
The first in a series of writing poetry as a way of healing.
Heart, who will you cry out to?
Giving silence words
* Choose one of the following.
* Spend a few minutes quietly reflecting upon it.
* What are some of the thoughts, memories, ideas that you experience?
* Write a...
23 Writing Ideas for your Next Poem -Markings 149
March 4, 2019
What are the 'Essentials' of a Good Poem? - Markings 150
April 28, 2020
April 27, 2020